WestEd Position Announcement
|Position Title:||Mathematics Item Writer|
|Program:||Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services|
|Hourly Rate:||$20.00-$30.00 per item|
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
Based in San Francisco, the Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services (SAAS) program is involved extensively at the state and national levels in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating standards and assessment tools, methods, and systems. SAAS serves as the test-development contractor for high-stakes assessment programs in several states, and staff perform standards evaluation and alignment studies as well as conduct research on the technical aspects of assessments for general education students and students with special needs. Many staff also work to address broader concerns of college- and career-ready standards, use of assessment results, and/or school intervention and effectiveness. Our wide range of projects and services spans many domains and content areas, including language arts, mathematics, science, social sciences, the arts, and technology.
Brief Position Description:
SAAS is seeking qualified individuals who will contribute to the delivery of high-quality products and services in the field of student assessment. Successful candidates will work directly with WestEd Mathematics Content Leads and coordination staff on writing assessment items for a variety of projects. The pay rate of $20.00–$30.00 per item varies based on item type and the project. The Mathematics Item Writer position is a work-at-home position only.
* Write original and unique mathematics assessment items for a variety of WestEd projects. Item types may include selected response, open ended, performance event, free response, and/or technology enhanced. Strong consideration will be given to applicants with experience in writing technology-enhanced items. Ensure that items meet WestEd writing guidelines and specifications as well as project-specific guidelines. Create all required metadata fields associated with each item written.
* Create scoring materials for rubric-scored item types.
* Develop a deep understanding of provided project materials (standards, item specifications, style guides, etc.).
* Work collaboratively with content leads and coordinators assigned to projects.
* Demonstrate growth and improvement as necessary during item writing cycle for each project.
* Participate in kick-off meetings for each project.
* Bachelor’s degree with a major or minor in mathematics or a related field (Master's degree preferred)
* Teaching experience or a background in the application of mathematics content in other settings
* Demonstrated expertise with mathematics content, specifically for grades 3–high school, and the ability to apply expertise in unique contexts
* Working knowledge of rigorous college- and career-ready state standards or the Common Core State Standards for mathematics
* Item writing experience
* Ability to follow detailed rules/guidelines for writing items to be used in large-scale assessments
* Experience writing technology-enhanced items (preferred, but not required)
* Excellent writing skills
* Ability to meet regular deadlines
* Open to feedback and review
* Demonstrated ability to communicate and send files via email and the Internet
* Ability to learn and work in multiple assessment development platforms
Item writers must have consistent access to high-speed Internet for email and access to web-based assessment development platforms. Facility with Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel is necessary.
Candidates must be willing to submit a sample set of items for review. [Note: Sample sets are only required to be submitted if candidate is contacted directly by WestEd staff following review of resumes. Candidates do not need to submit a sample set at time of online application.]
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to email@example.com with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.