WestEd Position Announcement
|Position Title:||Finance Intern ($13 - $17 per hour)|
|Location:||San Francisco, CA|
|Time Commitment:||2 days/wk for 5 months|
|Number of Positions Available:||1|
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
The Finance team is responsible for financial reporting and analysis, assisting in the creation and review of cost proposals, reviewing and approving project and agency budgets, and supporting the agency’s reporting tools. The Finance team also oversees insurance and investment management for the agency.
Planned Activities to Meet the Goals:
Onboarding day with Senior Financial Analyst and Financial Analyst (Cognos, budget, budget template, Wested Economics training)
Onboarding lunch with entire team
Brown Bag lunch with CFO and/or Director of Finance & Contracts
Final Presentation: Present project to colleagues
Networking: Brown Bag lunch with other departments i.e. Programs
Assist and support day to day activities of the finance team
Review project budgets and budget justifications for approval by Financial Analyst
Provide assistance and training to Program Staff on using the WestEd Budget template and budgets in general.
Transfer/link budget data to various budget formats used by outside funders, as needed.
Assist Financial Analyst with compliance effects of special adjustments.
Support Financial Analysis
Assist with monthly budgeting and forecasting, including updating the forecasting system and running necessary forecasting reports.
Assist with financial planning on business development initiatives.
Become proficient with our Business Intelligence software, Cognos.
Search, retrieve and analyze Cognos data, as needed.
Interpret data and help program staff understand and use the reports.
Support Financial Reporting
Support Financial Analyst in preparation Monthly Financial Review using various reports obtained via Cognos and from the Accounting team.
Support creation of various financial powerpoint slides and presentations for Management meetings.
Proactively look for ways to improve current financial systems and processes.
Proactively look for ways to improve program staff efficiency around financial reporting, financial analysis, and budgeting.
• Current Sophomore or Junior, who plans to graduate June 2018 or June 2019
• There is no one ‘right’ major. We look for talent from all majors who have a strong demonstrated academic record, intellectual curiosity and leadership ability and minimum 3.45 GPA. However, some Business or Accounting coursework a plus.
• Strong PC skills, familiar with Windows environment.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, including experience with formulas such as VLOOKUP and SUMIF, and functionalities such as Find and Replace, and linking multiple files/worksheets.
• Experience using Cognos, Salesforce or other Business Intelligence tools a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with people.
• Ability to review financial information through the use of various financial reporting tools.
• Ability to work well under pressure with multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Ability to take initiative where appropriate and to work successfully as a member of the team.
• Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with WestEd (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
• Can I receive school credit for interning with WestEd? Yes, depending on your school requirements. We encourage you to apply for school credit as part of your participation in the internship program.
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email email@example.com.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.