WestEd Position Announcement
- All health benefits effective first of the month following date of hire
- 15% contribution toward retirement effective day one of employment
- 15 vacation days, which will increase to 20 days per year beginning the 4th year of employment
- 12 holidays
- 12 days sick leave per year
|Position Title:||Senior Director State Strategy, WestEd; Senior Director Technical Assistance. and Policy, LI|
|Reports to:||Chief Development Officer|
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. Success for every learner is WestEd’s prime focus and has been for five decades.
WestEd's Institutional Development department is responsible for creating and implementing the agency’s comprehensive resource development plan. The department oversees proposal development activities across the organization, supports expansion of WestEd’s service capacity, and coordinates development of new services and products. We proactively seek new sources of funding and facilitate development of new program areas and business partnerships.
WestEd's Learning Innovations Program (LI) improves education for children by strengthening adult learning and promoting systemic improvement at the state, district, and school levels. LI provides professional development, research, and evaluation that bolster teacher quality and leadership, address needs of English learners and students with disabilities, and improve learning in science, math, and other subjects.
WestEd seeks a senior leader to provide strategic leadership for WestEd's TA and policy work with state education agencies and other education organizations to develop and successfully implement education policy and practices to support equitable and positive outcomes for all learners. The position will report to the Chief Development Officer and the Program Director of Learning Innovations.
Major responsibilities include:
1. Developing, launching, and providing leadership for the agency's state strategy: The position addresses WestEd's strategic goal to provide research and TA services that amplify state capacity to use effective and evidence-based practices and improve outcomes. The Senior Director of State Strategy at WestEd will lead the development of an agency initiative to expand state services, including developing relationships and new business with targeted states, networking with funders and key policy and education associations, and assuring the quality and relevance of WestEd's product line of TA to states and other education organizations. The initiative will expand WestEd's capacity to serve as a source of research-based guidance, TA and resources to support states in implementing state and federal education laws and in designing and implementing education systems that are effective and equitable. The position will coordinate across WestEd’s federally funded TA Centers and contribute to the future expansion of this work. The position will also develop and implement a strategic plan for state services that leverages products and resources across WestEd.
2. Providing oversight for technical assistance projects within the Learning Innovations program of WestEd: The position will also provide overall supervision for staff within the Learning Innovations program who are directing TA projects, including leaders of school turnaround, district services, and federal TA centers in the eastern region. This responsibility includes: supervising and providing growth-oriented feedback to project directors; providing overall conceptual direction to state TA and policy work. ensuring overall client satisfaction and program quality; and serving on the Learning Innovations Senior Leadership Team.
3. Principal Investigator for WestEd's Mid Atlantic Comprehensive Center (MACC): As the Mid-Atlantic Comprehensive Center's Principal Investigator, this leader will provide overall conceptual direction to the MACC project leadership team and, in collaboration with the Program Director for Learning Innovations, provide intellectual leadership and set strategic direction for the MACC. The selected candidate will also meet with program officers at ED as needed to share information regarding the MACC's strategy and the quality and impact of MACC services and interact with the Chief State School Officers served by the MACC to engage in briefings as well as needs assessment and planning of support to the states.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Be a strategic thinker and planner with deep knowledge of the external supports necessary for state and local education agencies to build and implement effective education systems;
• Have demonstrated success in developing complex new initiatives and products and leading regional or national TA Centers;
• Have an established track record in coaching others to provide quality technical assistance services to state agencies and/or other large educational organizations;
• Understand how to manage projects and human resources to ensure work is of the highest quality and impact;
• Possess knowledge of state and federal education policies and regulations as well as the research, issues, and trends in the field of education influencing states and public education, e.g., accountability, educator and leader effectiveness; school and systems transformation, equity, and continuous improvement;
• Be able to travel nationally up to 40% of the time;
• Possess excellent organizational, administrative, managerial, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated ability to manage contracts and budgets; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with diverse staff, colleagues, and clients from across the organization and across the nation.
• Be able to lead diverse teams and individuals across and outside the organization to reach established goals, including strong competencies in facilitation, consultation, and coaching;
• Have a strong record of ability to develop business in response to competitive and sole-source opportunities in the public and private sectors; and
• Possess an advanced degree in Education Policy, Administration, or Organizational Leadership, or related field.
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to email@example.com with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans’ status or other status protected by applicable law.